Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Holiday Gifting for the Kids

Last year, I had made my eldest nephew a fleece blanket with a Star Wars theme. His siblings (especially his brother) also wanted blankets as well for this year after seeing their brother get a lot of use out of his.

So, I found some polar fleece that I thought they might like. Owls for her.

Robots for him.

The fleece kits were on sale at JoAnns, and came with a matching colored fleece for the underside. What's nice about polar fleece is that it doesn't fray. However, I don't like the "fringe" finishings that many kits suggest. Instead, I used a zig-zag stitch on my machine. I rounded all of the edges of the blanket and lengthened the stitch to over two inches and made it as wide as possible, then hemmed it completely around.

The cats found the fabric very warm and snuggly. I had to keep removing them from the table in order to cut and pin the large swaths of fabric. However, they were awfully cute.



If you want some helpful tips on sewing with fleece, Craftsy just came out with 12 helpful hints.

No comments:

Post a Comment