Tuesday, February 11, 2014

DIY: Travel Case for Pens, Pencils, and Knitting Needles

I am about to travel soon to Gallifrey One (the Doctor Who convention). This year, we are flying and I realized that I have to do some safeguarding of my knitting through airport security. Although knitting is allowed on airplanes by U.S Federal rules, whether you can take your knitting on the plane is still at the discretion of the individual security agents. I don't like taking chances, and there are many helpful pieces of advice that many knitters have imparted.

Personally, I like to stow my knitting needles in a pencil case along with a few pens and pencils. I use interchangeable needles, so I take the needles off the cables and stick them with pencils. (I also bring a small notebook for sketches and note-taking despite the electronic age in which we live).

I couldn't find my pencil case, not remembering the last time I used it, so I opted to make another. A pencil case is just single rectangle folded over with a closure (either buttons, zippers, or cord).  It took me about 15 minutes to finish this project.

1. I took a pencil and crochet hook and measured it out  -- 6 inches or ~ 15cm long. I would need fabric at least 7 inches wide (assuming a 1/2 inch  (~1.25 cm) seam allowance).
Untitled

2. I found some left over fabric when I was making my ditty bags for the holidays. I trimmed it to 7" x 12".
I serged them wrong sides together into a single piece. (Make your pencil case as big as you want.)
  • If you don't have a serger, you can baste it together OR
  • Sew the pieces right sides together along three sides and turn it right-side out and then sew shut the open side. Make sure to press all seams.
  • (I like using the serger in this manner because it's one less step for me to take.)

Untitled

3. Fold over 1/2 inch (1.25cm) and sew along all other edges.

Untitled

4. Right sides together, fold over and sew down approximately 3.5 inches (~8.9cm) to form a pouch with a 1/2 inch (1.25cm) seam allowance.

5. If necessary, clip the edges.
Untitled

6. Turn right-side out. It should be long enough to hold several pencils, pens, and knitting needles.
Untitled

7. Add a closure of your choice. I used a button, but you can also use elastic or a cord closure.
(Sammy with the finished case)
Untitled


Enjoy the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment