Monday, December 29, 2014

Making My Own Tardis Bag (Part 5): Straps & the Final Bag

One of the changes I made to the pattern was to change up the actual closures. I really liked how my Patagonia bag had parachute buckles on the outside, and I sought to emulate that look.



I picked up one inch parachute buckles and strap adjusters. (I really wanted the 3/4 inch version, but I couldn't find a nylon webbing strap of that same size, so I went up to 1" instead.) I picked up a dark blue version of both the buckles, adjusters, and the nylon belt.


I decided to have the straps come from the "POLICE SIGN".


I added the other end of the strap to come from both ends of the bottom of the bag.

  • A short nylon strap and the separator came out from the front of the bag
  • A longer nylon strap and the other parachute clip came out from the back of the bag.


The finished strap looked pretty good.


I also decided to add a handle at the top of the bag. I find this particular feature very useful in a bag. It becomes easy to pick a bag up from the floor or table. I used scraps of the black denim and added some of the blue nylon webbing for a bit of added strength.


Attaching the lining to the outside of the bag was a bit tricky, but do-able. The inside of the bag is pretty roomy (as shown by my Warcraft Wind Rider stuffed wyvern)


In terms of size, I'm comparing it to my daily Patagonia bag:

  • Patagonia 15" x 12" x 5"
  • TARDIS: 16.5" x 12" x 3.5" . 



The Patagonia serves as my daily use bag, and can fit an iPad mini, two sock projects (or a sweater project), my wallet, phone, water bottle, book, and assorted small items.  The TARDIS allows me to fit slightly bit more, and should be perfect for running around a convention.


All-in-all, I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. There's a few things that didn't come out perfectly but then again, what ever does? I also would have done things slightly differently for a few things. However, I like how it looks and while I make modifications to any other ones I might make, this one is perfectly serviceable! I can't wait to try it.

Now, I'm ready for a Convention to happen so I can test this out! Onwards to GallifreyOne!

You can also find more posts about making this bag by searching on TARDIS MESSENGER BAG or click on the following links:

No comments:

Post a Comment