Friday, May 29, 2015

Cosplaying Gogo Tomago

For Fanime 2015, I decided to do a last minute hall costume of Gogo Tomago from Big Hero 6, because she's a kick-ass character, who is super smart, athletic and tough-as-nails. In essence, she is wicked cool.

Her street outfit was pretty straight forward, and it was comfortable for running around the convention. It took me about a day to purchase all of the clothes & materials, then a few hours to make what needed to be made.

I went to my local thrift shop, clothing store, pharmacy, and Joanns for the "raw" materials. I also pulled stuff from my own closet, which helped cut down on some costs. The only thing I had to order online was the wig.

I love thrifting for costumes, because it usually means I have minimal modifications that need to be done, which means I can spend more time sewing other costumes.

Stuff I had to make:
For Gogo, the only thing I had to make from scratch were her bike reflector bands. I found purple waistband elastic (1.5 inches) and white fold over elastic (5/8 inches) that were slightly reflective. I sewed them together. They pretty much came out perfectly. Overall cost for both of these items: $5.00

 

From the Thrift Store:
Here's what I managed to thrift:
  • Used black leather jacket from my local thrift store  - $8.00
  • Black running shorts - $2.00
The black leather jacket wasn't a perfect match since hers is more of a half-jacket, but it would work in a pinch.


The black running shorts had to be modified slightly to add the red stripes down the side as well as the small "V". These shorts were popular in the 1980s, but good luck finding them now! I added red satin ribbon down the sides and made a "V" by seam ripping the bottom portion of the shorts then restitching.


From Kohls and my local costume shop:
I was going to have buy leggings and purple tights for Gogo's outfit and do some modifications.  I found cheap dark grey capri leggings from Kohl's and some opaque purple tights from Leg Avenue from my local costume shop.

In order to get her look, I put on both tights and leggings. My Viking carefully pinned the tights to the leggings while I was wearing them so that both were stretched appropriately. Afterwards, I cut off the feet of the purple tights and sewed them together around the bottom of the legs. Then it was a matter of adding "artistic" holes.




Overall cost for both of these items: $20.00

From my closet:
For the rest of the outfit, I had a few things, including her white tank top, shoes, and bicycle gloves (that you can probably buy at any bike shop or on Amazon.) And bonus, there's a "G" for Gogo. :-)


I love it when I can re-use stuff for cosplay!

For the Wig:
The wig was the biggest cost for the outfit. I found the right wig from Arda Wigs (Magnum short at $30.00). I also ordered some purple wefts that I sewed into the wig. Luckily, Arda wigs has some pretty good tutorials for wig modification.

The wig was the biggest expense for the outfit, plus, it took a few days to arrive. The hardest part of this costume was sewing the purple wefts into the wig so that they would look correctly when worn.



From the Pharamacy:

I also did have to purchase special makeup for Gogo, as she wears purple eye shadow and pink blush, which are not in my normal makeup kit. (Cost: $10.00). Also, there are some excellent makeup tutorials for Gogo on YouTube. I practiced putting on this makeup for a few days, wearing it to work.


And my absolute last purchase for the costume was the bubble gum. (Cost: $1.50)


Because, well, it's Gogo and you need the bubble gum!


Time to Woman UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment